Peter J. Carrato, S.E, P.E., C.Eng., PhD., F.ASCE, FICE, F.ABET, FACI, M.AISC
Before joining Ellis Global, Pete served as a Corporate Fellow in Civil Engineering for the Bechtel Corporation where, as the subject matter expert in civil and structural engineering, he played a key role in all phases of project delivery, from estimating and design through start-up and commissioning. He also provided due diligence analyses to Bechtel’s senior management on prospective projects, and helped resolve conflicts with owners, regulators, suppliers and sub-contractors.
At Bechtel, Pete was also Corporate Manager of Building Information Modeling (BIM) and Virtual Design and Construction, where he evaluated technologies and developed their implementation strategy across all five of the company’s global business units.
With extensive experience in the power industry, Pete has provided structural engineering insights on a variety of projects in the fossil power, solar, and nuclear fields. He has also delivered technical oversight and structural assessment for some of the largest global infrastructure projects including airports, transit systems, and sports arenas.
Pete also served as an associate professor of civil engineering at his alma mater, Bucknell University.
Bucknell University, BS Civil Engineering, Cum Laude; MS Civil Engineering
Duke University, PhD Civil Engineering
Registered Professional Engineer
Licensed Structural Engineer
Chartered Civil Engineer (UK)
Affiliations & Leadership Positions
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Fellow and Life Member, Past Member Committee on Curricula and Accreditation
- Institution of Civil Engineers (UK), Fellow
- American Concrete Institute, Fellow and Past Chair/Member of Building Information Modeling; Anchorage to Concrete; Concrete Nuclear Structures committees
- American Institute of Steel Construction; Past Chair/Member of Information Technology; Industrial Building and Non-building Structures, Engineering Awards committees
- Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), Fellow, Past Chair/Member of the Board of Delegates to the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC); EAC Executive Committee; EAC Criteria Committee, Readiness Review Committee for New Programs
- Seismic Provision Update Committee (PUC), funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program (NEHRP)
- Junior Engineers Technical Society (JETS), Past President, Board of Directors
- GTSTRUDL User’s Group, Past Chairman
- Reinforced Concrete Building Information Modeling Consortium, Past Chairman